Saturday, June 4, 2011

Una settimana

My first week in Italy was full of awesome adventures. From the airport in Paris to finding the Stadio Artemio Franchi. In class we have talked about the White Privilege and how Americans are less educated, or aware of the world compared to Third World nationalities. I don't agree with a couple of the points discussed by Peggy McIntosh in the White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack article. Many of the points she claims like dressing in second hand clothes, not answering letters are things that white people don't get looked down upon. I don't agree with it, and I think race has no role to play in showing decent "class." She makes an interesting point that all white people never have to speak for their entire race. It kind of makes me ponder about how black leaders like the Reverend Jesse Jackson claims to speak for all African-Americans. Something interesting about different races here is that pretty much all the Hindi or people of Middle Eastern descent run either a Kebab restaurant, or a small mini-mart. It's seriously like all the 7-11's back in Orange County, it's pretty hilarious, if not stereotypical. It's also interesting that it's pretty much all Senegalese or Ghanian immigrants who try to sell counterfeit goods on the streets like those African-American people who stand outside sporting events trying to hock tickets or cheaply made souvenir t-shirts. When learning about the American privilege, I tend to agree with lots of the points. Most people in foreign countries do know a lot about our country's government, and it's sad that many Americans don't give two sh*ts about the government. I've been reading the news for about 5 years now, so I'm pretty aware of everything that's going on and I hope I don't get the typical "ignorant American" snide remarks at me. Also I do agree that men enjoy privileges of being in the dominant group, from one night of clubbing in Italy, I learned that Italian men try to hump any women on the dance floor. And if you're a girl there not trying to get grinded on, "good luck, with that."

I do agree that U.S. foreign policy affects third world countries, but after discussing unilateralism in POSC 200 this past semester, I think in that way. What benefits the U.S. is good for me, and I don't feel sorry for the third world people. We also learned about ethnography and how the local people live in their world. From exploring Florence I have already learned a few things about Florence. Outside the historical "touristy" center, people speak less English, but honestly seem more friendly to us Americans. We walked around by the Stadium, and found the ACF Fiorentina's fan group's supporters bar, and the bar tender was very nice. We got great beer for €4 , and she made us bowls of peanuts and chips that I doubt we'll get at any bar around here. To really experience Florence, you have to get outside the historical part of the city and see the locals in their neighborhoods. Getting lost in Florence has led to good things like the best local gelateria near the stadium, and another one two bridges to the right of the Ponte Vecchio. It led us to find some great foods, like the best local sandwich shop for €2.50 that all the locals are in line for. The only part that sucks is it's like 4 shops down from where the Jersey Shore cast works and their a**hole security guards who stand guard outside. I have already found my places to eat for cheap, and I found all the nearby supermarkets/mini-marts. The Billa Supermarket experience was intense, having to pack your own groceries in a bag so you don't get charged 10 cents per bag, I felt so slow trying to pack my groceries. I ate the worst burrito ever, it might as well have been a quesadilla, and that is probably the last time I try to eat Mexican food in Italy. I also had a great "not beef" sandwich at some van, we just call it the horse meat sandwich. I have never drunk so much alcohol before in one week, and I'm surprised I haven't thrown up yet, maybe I'm building a tolerance, haha. But Birra Moretti is my drink, and I'm glad that my dad recommended it to me before I came here. Other than that, I wish I wouldn't have to pay for water at dinner, but I guess it's a fair trade-off we don't have to tip our servers. We always eat in large parties, and it's a real pain in the butt sometimes because they try to give all our food at once, people who walked in 20 minutes after you get their food and are done with it by the time we even get our food. The Uffizi was pretty awesome to look at, because I have already studied some of those artworks in Art History last year, The statue of Laocoön and His Sons, the Birth of Venus, and the Madonna and Child Enthroned by Cimabue and Giotto. I haven't been to the Accademia yet to see the David, but it's on my list of things to do. I ate the greatest steak I've ever had before in Siena, the Fiorentina steak, a special of Tuscany. I only wish I had more time to explore Siena, rather than see everything from the exterior. I am being bitten like crazy by mosquitoes, its like worst than Hawai'i. Other than that, I've just found out where bars show American sports like the NBA finals and the MLB, and I can't wait to get out there at ungodly hours supporting my teams. Arrivederci.

No comments:

Post a Comment